Teen on LSD Dies in Car Crash; Father Says the School Could Have Warned Him
While we often hear about teens and substance abuse, including alcohol and prescription drugs, one father in Colorado lost his son to a different substance. 17-year-old Caden Williamson died in a car accident, highlighting the dangers of LSD and driving. Caden crashed his car into a street pole while he was high on LSD and THC, which is the psychoactive component of marijuana. According to a police report, Caden had just sent a text to his girlfriend before the accident.
The message read that Caden had reached a higher plane of existence, and he’d realized his time on earth was done, so he was moving into another dimension.
LSD stands for lysergic acid diethylamide, and it’s a psychedelic drug. The National Institute on Drug Abuse classifies LSD as a hallucinogenic/dissociative drug.
Caden’s father, Brock Williamson, said the school should have told him about his son’s LSD use because his girlfriend’s mother had alerted them about it weeks before his death.
The School Did Not Report the Teen’s LSD Use
According to Brock Williamson, the school falsely said they had received a Safe2Tell report, which led them to search his son for drugs in school. They didn’t find LSD, but they did find Caden had a vaping pen and a pocketknife. As a result, Brock said his son was suspended for one day.
Williamson said the school didn’t tell him that the tip they received to report drug use came from his girlfriend’s mother, nor did they tell him it specifically mentioned LSD. Williamson said he didn’t know how the report originally started, so he told school officials he was worried someone had made a false report against his son. The officials at the school said they understood his worries and didn’t see a concern about drug use in his son. Williamson said he wished the school had specifically mentioned the LSD because he’d attributed recent changes in his son’s behavior to marijuana.
According to Jeffco Public Schools, no Safe2Tell report was created for Caden’s case.
Safe2Tell is a Colorado program where users can submit anonymous reports about drugs in school and report drug use. Safe2Tell can also be used to anonymously report anything that is threatening or concerning.
While Caden’s father says he doesn’t blame the school for his son’s actions, he feels strongly that the school should never lie to a parent.
Spike in Teen LSD Use
When it comes to drug use in high school students, LSD isn’t necessarily one of the most commonly used substances, but still, acid in Colorado could be more of a problem than many parents and officials realize, based on Caden’s story.
Based on the results of the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 229,000 Americans 12 and older said they’d used LSD within the past month when they were surveyed. Based on the Monitoring the Future Survey of drug use and attitudes among American teens in 8th through 12 grades, there were five-year increases in the lifetime use of LSD in all grades. There were also increases in past-year use of LSD among 12th graders and in past-month use in 10th graders.
If you’re concerned about your teen’s potential substance misuse, please reach out to Next Generation Village today to learn about our treatment programs.
Gliha, Lori Jane. “Colorado teen high on LSD dies in car crash; dad says school should have warned him.” KDVR, February 4, 2020. Accessed March 2, 2020.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. “Hallucinogens and Dissociative Drugs.” February 2015. Accessed March 2, 2020.
National Institute on Drug Abuse. “Monitoring the Future Survey: High School and Youth Trends.” December 2019. Accessed March 2, 2020.
Medical Disclaimer: Next Generation Village aims to improve the quality of life for people struggling with a substance use or mental health disorder with fact-based content about the nature of behavioral health conditions, treatment options and their related outcomes. We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals. The information we provide is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider.